[openFATE 306571] Make project and package maintainers easily accessible
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:39:33 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #306571, revision 13
Title: Make project and package maintainers easily accessible

Buildservice: New
Priority
- Requester: Important
+ Requester: Mandatory

Requested by: Susanne Oberhauser (froh)

obs automatically creates aliases package-$package@... ,
project-$project@... , maybe @hermes.opensuse.org .
The mail should get a additional subject tag [pkg:$package] ... or
[prj:$project] ... , and is Cc: ed to o-factory@xxx with this tag.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Currently it's a pita to reach package maintainers,
either for the whole developer community on factory (because the mails
are private and not archived) or for the maintainers (as they drown in
the signal / noise ration on factory.

#1: Susanne Oberhauser (froh) (2009-06-25 14:46:16)
Caution is needed to avoid spam What strategies do we have for this?
can we benefit from the spam filtering that's done for o-factory@... ?

#2: Susanne Oberhauser (froh) (2009-06-25 14:52:39)
How do we deal with non o-factory@... subscribers? I see two
alternatives: Block them from using the aliases (with a corresponding
automatic reply). Or allow the posts, as they come from hermes.o.o ---
and make hermes deal smartly with replies, e.g. by appropriately adding
the original autor of the message to the bounced message.

#3: Hendrik Vogelsang (hennevogel) (2009-07-01 12:36:05)
Why would you CC a mailinglist? We just need to provide the means of
contact. There is no need to add additional functionality. If somebody
wants to CC a mailinglist or use a specific subject he can use his
MUA.

#4: Susanne Oberhauser (froh) (2009-07-01 13:02:42) (reply to #3)
Maybe Cc:ing factory is no tthe best approach.
How do you track a package as a very interested bystander? so you can
influence decisions that will affect you, because you rely on the
package?
plain posting on factory could be the right thing but that requires
every packager to set up his mail scoring accordingly so she sees her
mails.
you could also To: factory and Cc: the maintainers.
but you usually want to have such discussions in public per default,
don't you?

#5: Hendrik Vogelsang (hennevogel) (2009-07-01 13:22:27) (reply to #4)
The filtering system of hermes should support tracking of specific
packages/project, but this is just another feature for the filters i
think.
This feature is about contacting a package maintainer or a project
maintainer in a standardized fashion.

#6: Susanne Oberhauser (froh) (2009-07-01 13:57:34) (reply to #5)
indeed. with the constraint that the solution works well for the
community, i.e. that the project related disucssions can easily be
followed and joined by interested bystanders.
For that reason Klaas has suggested to make hermes a smart mail
forwarder. That's a clever alternative to relaying these discussions
to, say, factory.

#7: Hendrik Vogelsang (hennevogel) (2009-07-01 14:10:51) (reply to #6)
I think you confuse the commnuity with the public. Its nice if we make
it easy to follow packages or projects for people that are not
involved. Its not so nice if we make a simple request like this by our
community overly complicated and hard to implement just to be able to
inform the public.
Look all im saying is: This is a very crucial function and people now
wait for this rather then creating mailinglists manualy. We need to
establish communication for the Factory devel projects. So we better
concentrate on the main feature. A means of contact for project
project/package maintainers.

#8: Hendrik Vogelsang (hennevogel) (2009-07-01 14:12:36)
I would suggest to use an mlm as backend for this where hermes triggers
subscription/unsubscription. I can help with this part.

#9: Adrian Schröter (adriansuse) (2010-02-20 11:41:02)
What I wonder is what are the topics you want to discuss with the
maintainers ?
If it is about bugs or feature requests bugzilla should be used anyway,
no ?
In other cases, what is the problem with just click on the "mail"
button in webui ? Or to use "osc maintainer -e" ?

#10: Hendrik Vogelsang (hennevogel) (2010-02-20 13:58:59) (reply to
#9)
There is no _problem_ with using the current means of contact. This is about
convenience. Especially contacting _project_ maintainers is cumbersome
at the moment. If i want for instance to talk to my Base:System peers i
have to copy 70(!!!) email addresses into my mailer instead of writing
to project-base:system@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#11: Susanne Oberhauser (froh) (2010-02-22 16:44:35) (reply to #9)
The primary benefit of the request here over "osc maintainer -e" is
that the generated email address is persistent, simple to remember and
with hermes as relay you have an ad-hoc mailing list the moment you
create the project and add maintainers. And the "list" is automatically
maintained when you modify maintainership.

#12: Hendrik Vogelsang (hennevogel) (2010-07-30 14:06:20)
See this thread for a perfect example why this makes sense:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2010-07/msg00508.html