[openFATE 308373] Packman Automatic Setup
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:27:32 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #308373, revision 6
Title: Packman Automatic Setup

Hackweek V: Unconfirmed

- Requester: Important
+ Requester: Mandatory

Requested by: Zachary Klein (zak89)

Automate the enablement of the Packman repository (and installation
common codecs) as part of the first system update (similar to "pullin-
msfonts"), either by using a "pullin" pseudo-package or by simpling
auto-enabling the repo in Yast.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: It appears that openSUSE's "multimedia experience" is
very dependant on the third-party Packman repository. While it's great
that we have excellent repository management, and enabling third party
repos is a breeze, I think it is still less than obvious to new users;
even those with prior Linux experience but who are new to openSUSE. Not
being able to play your music or video collections is a pretty glaring
deficiency for a new user.
My suggestion is reasonably simple (I think). Since adding the Packman
repo and installing common codecs is the first thing most desktop users
will want to do (or need to do but not know it), why not add it as part
of the first system update (similar to the "pullin flash
player/msfonts" packages).Either have the system "install" a package
that adds the repo for the user (and pulls in common codecs), or have
Yast enable the repo itself (it's already got the url information, as
you can see in the "Community Repositories" dialog).
I don't know what legal issues the last option might cause, but the
first one (installing a "pseudo package") is already being used for the
flash player and msfonts; couldn't we do something similar? The user
could always opt out of it by unchecking the "pullin-packman" patch
when updateing.
If this feature could be added, then the first system update the user
performs (and most users I think will not be put off by the idea of an
OS update) will take care one of the biggest newbie complaints about
Linux ("I can't play my mp3s!"). I don't know what hurdles this may
pose, but it seems relatively straightforward to me.
I should note that I am aware of the opensuse-community.org One-Click
Install that would take care of this same problem. However, my concern
is that even this is not obvious to the new (or even not-so-new) user.
I used openSUSE for several years before I even heard of the opensuse-
community site or it's packages. I still think something should be tied
in to the inital system update so that the user doesn't need to have to
stumble upon the solution.