[openFATE 310025] Set Repository priority at install
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:24:05 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: jpxviii jpxviii (jpxviii)
Feature #310025, revision 7
Title: Set Repository priority at install

+ Hackweek V: Unconfirmed
+ Priority
+ Requester: Important

Requested by: Andreas Tumbas (buddelbob)

A higher priority setting for the main repositories.
With the settings as they are now, we have the main repositories all
set at priority 99, new added repositories at 99 and one-click-install
added repositories at 99. This, for sure will lead into troubles as
users begin to use the package management and the vast number of
repositories out there. When updating through "zypper dup", the system
will always update to the latest version package out of all
repositories, because all of them have the same priority. When
installing new software, yast and zypper would always choose the latest
package as well. This will break the system sooner or later with many
repositories added and especially the meant to be easy to use one-click-
install will speed that up, when users use them.
When we would change the default priority of the main repositories to,
for example, 80 for update and 90 for the other main repositories (oss,
non-oss, source...), while 99 is still the priority of newly added
repositories, repositories added by one-click-install or manually will
not break the system while the user still get the updates that are
provided by the repositories, unlike with the suggestion usually found
in the forums community to disable every repository besides the main
ones (plus packman).

Use Case:
Add many repositories by one-click-installing or manually without
manually changing priority or disabling them.

#1: Lee Matheson (oldcpu) (2010-06-26 18:39:29)
Reducing the impact of repository proliferation is important.  The
number of new users who have broken part or all of their openSUSE
install is large (and difficult for support to help fix), where they
have done such a break because they mistakenly assumed that dependency
checking by rpms would be sufficient such that they can massively mix
and match a zillion repositories.  We need to do something here.  I do
not know the answer, but am forced in the forums to try and help
address the problems as they continue to occur over and over and over.