[openFATE 305842] Provide RPM Update Server to Update All openSUSE/SLED Workstations
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 23:54:54 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Federico Lucifredi (flucifredi)
Feature #305842, revision 16
Title: Provide RPM Update Server to Update All openSUSE/SLED
Workstations

openSUSE-11.2: Done

Info Provider: (Novell)
- Info Provider: (Novell)
Requested by: Scott Couston (zczc2311)

*Please be Patient - This is my First FATE request*
Definitions in this Submission
* Workstation : Any openSUSE/SLED installation that functions without
direct server support
* Installation Server : Any designated PC that holds a repository for
the complete RPM's contained at time of software Release.
* Update Server : Any designated PC that holds a repository(s) that
contain online update RPM's The 'Server' would be accessible by normal
NFS... et al Services currently available.
Current Situation
The Installation of a PC with openSUSE/SLED requires a huge number of
Online Updates a situation that may never change whilst development
continues. The Installation of openSUSE has the ability to perform many
NFS Installations at one time whilst being able to create 1 repository
server for the entire Installation RPM's for future addition of
features and groups not included in the base installation.
Feature Request
Along the same notion of an NFS Installation I propose that we an
Installation Server or Other to be an Update Server which downloads ALL
RPM updates as they become available. Each Workstation then selects
Online Updates from the Update Server per chosen update check cycle
period. In this way each workstation needs only to connect with the
Update Server rather than each workstation downloading its required
updates. This has the potential to cut update traffic by the number of
workstations installed on a LAN and this weighed against the traffic of
downloading ALL updates and the traffic on ALL Online update Server
Repositories and Mirrors external to the LAN. The concept is notedly
simple however this has a huge technical repercussion and link to FATE
#120340. This concept is open for addition to FATE #120340 or it can
stand alone at the discretion of Novell.DE Whilst this concept is
created by the author the technical impact/problems will require much
input from Novell.De and Suse.DE and the author.

#1: Scott Couston (zczc2311) (2009-02-10 02:37:07)
I wish the carriage returns CR held from initial text - Can be have a
CR Button - Please edit initial description if required.
Can we also have a preview before commit comments/initial entry

#2: Scott Couston (zczc2311) (2009-02-18 05:43:26)
I had envisaged that we could add another option to the Miscellaneous
Section of Yast. We already have a wizard to create and install server
so we can use much of the same code to create an Online Patch Update
Server. Naming convention should apply to reflect Version and
Architecture. Priority must also be provided and a 'wake PC' option of
PC is not turned on. The very tricky bit to to set up a cron job to
gather ALL Updates for the user indicated version and architecture. On
the client side I would suggest we add another check box to Software
Repositories to turn on and off and take regard for priority and create
an NFS Client if and then browse for the update Servers name. In the
absence of a matching RPM Package Tittle for the NFS Server the
operation fails in verification. We can use the same online update
software except it points to a local Server via NFS transfer. We would
also need a refresh option to refresh our client NFS exported and
mounted directories as it is possible for the Update Server to be down
at the time threshold for client check for updates as NO NFS drives
would be available.
We need to do a bit of work in Online Update Check configuration that
is currently in Yast - Again we need a 'wake PC' if the time set needs
to turn on a PC that is not online via APCI

#3: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2009-06-09 14:50:43)
Can't this be done with SMT - and is SMT Open Source?

#4: Scott Couston (zczc2311) (2009-09-05 20:05:21)
<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->
Andreas are you refering to"Simultaneous Multi-threading" If so the
following URL has information on this.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/smt/
However I cannot comment on Simultaneous Multi-threading what so ever
as I am not equiped to do so - Can you elaborate ?

#5: Stanislav Visnovsky (visnov) (2009-09-08 13:37:42) (reply to #4)
SMT stands for Subscription Management Tool
http://www.novell.com/linux/smt/. The code is open source.

#6: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2010-03-24 13:48:36) (reply to #5)
OK, so we can mark this as done.

List Navigation