[openFATE 309580] Push Server
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 06:13:24 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Joey Yu Zheng (jzheng)
Feature #309580, revision 3
Title: Push Server

Requested by: Alex Chun Yin Lau (allau)
+ Developer: (Novell)

I've been thinking about this idea for some time now. And there are
couple reasons that I like this idea, but instead of telling you the
reason why I like it. First of all I need define what I mean by Remote
Dbus? As a matter of fact, I don't really know what to call it at the
beginning with, I kind of demo it in the GnomeSummit as the future
desktop combine with web service. You can call it WebRPC or
PushBaseMessaging etc. And here is the definition of it and maybe you
can help me naming it. First of all, it can reduce the server bandwidth
usage by send information just to the client who is interested and
login. By logging in mean you are actually holding a active session in
the server. Here is the scenario, our web server want to tell the user
that it is going into maintenance mode for an hour. Traditionally you
will send out a system wide email to all user and notify them. However,
it is kind of like UDP, when the user is not actually using or planning
on using within that specific time frame. This email almost act like a
spam. And even worst is when the user login to their email account
after the fact, this event already expired and it really waste a lot of
bandwidth. This specific protocol should allow you to let the server
send the message to the client actively interested in this topic ( kind
of like twitter) instead of passively subscripted by the client itself.
Second key idea is from the client side. This service can send message
from the server and no need the client to pull, which fit the need of
reduce network traffic and power consumption. It will greatly improve
the battery consumption for different handle client. If you compare
current technology that mostly fit our desktop nowaday, you will see
lot of pulling and no way to let the device / client going to sleep or
idle. With a server active pushing message to the client, we can save
not only the bandwidth and the power for the client, but the server can
also have reduce load by having lesser hit. Third key idea is unlike
the web service, there will not be any type checking and interface
definition. Client know where to call if they know. What to call if
they know and How does it return if they know. Meaning when then client
starting a call to the server for a service, the client need know the
uri ahead of time, know the interface ahead of time and parameter
in/out ready ahead of time. If something go wrong, it just goes wrong.
No need for error checking over head.

Use Case:
You subscript to the push service and when there is information that
you interested, server will push to you instead of pulling from the
client.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: 1) Reduce server side bandwidth 2) Reduce client side
pulling 3) Save battery life.

List Navigation