[openFATE 309183] Localized package descriptions
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 23:45:28 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Markus K (KAMiKAZOW)
Feature #309183, revision 5
Title: Localized package descriptions

Buildservice: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Markus K (kamikazow)

Currently software descriptions are only available in English, even
though YaST/zypper itself is translated.
Solution: Build Service should extract the translated names and
descriptions from included .desktop files. YaST/zypper should display
the correct description based on system language setting.
+ The app-install project from PackageKit tries to solve exactly this
+ problem: http://github.com/hughsie/app-install/blob/master/README

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Improve the accessibility for users who don't understand
English.

#1: Johannes Obermayr (jobermayr) (2010-03-17 16:58:24)
AFAIK it is not possible:

Markus, we two are both German KDE translators.

When translating KDE we have Scripty which looks in .desktop files for
i.e. the "Name=untranslated" tag and extracts it to desktop_*.pot. We
translate it and store it in a desktop_*.po on KDE's SVN Server. Next
day Scripty updates the related .desktop file with i.e. "Name[de]
=tranlation" tag. I.e. KDE and Gnome can handle this new tag.

With RPM we have "Summary:" tag and "%descripion" section. But AFAIK
RPM cannot handle a "Summary[de]:" tag and "%description[de]" section.

So first of all RPM must be able to handle tags for translations ...

And second problem is that every time a script or (wo)men updates the
spec file OBS triggers a rebuild ...

But it could also be that I have wrong information about RPM ...

#2: Markus K (kamikazow) (2010-03-21 16:30:50) (reply to #1)
If RPM has that limitation, it should be removed.
And at least in the main repos, packages don't get rebuilt all the
time.