[openFATE 309370] Get ride of SuSEconfig.gtk2
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 23:44:58 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Rajko Matovic (rajko_m)
Feature #309370, revision 3
Title: Get ride of SuSEconfig.gtk2

openSUSE-11.3: New

Requested by: Thorsten Kukuk (kukuk)

There are a few packages which needs a SuSEconfig.gtk2 run afterwards.
Currently they touch "run-gtk" and the next SuSEconfig run will execute
the script. But the problem is, that only YaST2 calls SuSEconfig
afterwards, zypper and rpm do not.
As result, if you install gtk based applications the first time with
zypper or rpm, this ones are often broken and don't work. The
workaround is, that all this applications get a %run_suseconfig macro.
This is very error prone, and makes the installation slower than doing
it right from the beginning and let the post install of this packages,
which really installs a plugin, register it correct.
As all the bug reports with SLE11 SP1 shows, the current solution is
- not maintainable in any ways. We need to get ride of this hack.
+ not maintainable in any ways. We need to get rid of this hack.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Make gtk applications work out of the box again and not
depending on a special Novell hack not supported by most of our own
RPMs and 3rd party RPMs.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-05-06 23:04:18)
Correctness before speed, though, so the ultimately short solution is
to just run SuSEconfig in %post, like it's done for fonts. Does our rpm
have triggers/post-after-transaction yet?