[openFATE 309448] Clean temporary data in SUSE
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:31:54 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Per Jessen (pjessen)
Feature #309448, revision 4
Title: Clean temporary data in SUSE

Requested by: Michal Vyskocil (mvyskocil)

The current default behavior of SUSE is not touch files in /tmp and
others to prevent an unwanted data lost. There are at least two
requests willing to change it somehow:
* FATE#307510: Cron: set MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP different from 0
* bug#594778 - RN: include tmpwatch in a pattern
The pros:
* The common meaining of /tmp is that is for temporary data. FHS says -
"Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
preserved between invocations of the program". FHS also allows the
removal of a content of /var/tmp and /var/cache , even if those
directories should be more persistent as /tmp .
* As SUSE places the /tmp and /var on root partition by default and not
remove the content of it, the free space should be simply eaten. There
are a lot of applications in SUSE distribution that stores a lot of
data inside those dirs, but because of the common meaning - they not
removed them. For instance - Mozilla Firefox, ssh, gpg, kde, mc, Adobe
Flash, and many others. The other way is to fix all of those programs
to safely remove all content they store in /tmp after it's not needed.
The cons:
* Strictly speaking the not removal of /tmp and others is not againts
FHS.
* Change of the default is dangerous, especially if we are talking about
files removal, because long time SUSE users might rely on this specific
behavior of SUSE.
* The default should be SAFE and not removing of files is considered as
a safe default.
Please note this FATE is not about concrete technical solution
(existing scron script, tmwatch, tmpfs, /dev/shm, or something else).
The question is - change the default behavior to remove temporary
files, or not ? And if so, which ones and how often.

+ #1: Per Jessen (pjessen) (2010-05-04 11:31:51)
+ I'm not really sure how this differs from feature 307510, but never
+ mind - the only advantage of this change is to save disk space. Disk
+ space is becoming cheaper by the minute and Terabyte is no longer an
+ exotic amount reserved for large datacentres. I say we keep the safe
+ default in openSUSE, and leave it to the sysadmin to do the one-line
+ change if he or she wants to automatically purge temporary files.