[openFATE 306634] Show non-installed YaST modules (grey out)
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:21:26 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Duncan Mac-Vicar (dmacvicar)
Feature #306634, revision 11
Title: Show non-installed YaST modules (grey out)

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by (cthiel1)
reject date: 2009-10-27 15:44:46
reject reason: -ENOTIMELEFT for 11.2.
Projectmanager: Desirable

Requested by: Drew Kwashnak (dragonbite)

Yast lists a lot of configuration options, such as in the Network
services section, which users may not necessarily use or knows what it
does.  This is most likely with newer users to Linux and/or those who
are not as involved with system/network administration.
I am suggesting that if the related service is not installed (like
Samba Server for example) then the configuration option in Yast should
be greyed out.  It gives a visual indicator of what you don't need to
worry about configuring while lets you know what is installed and can
be configured.
Perhaps users clicking on the greyed-out icons can be greeted with a
message giving a brief description of what the service does and offers
a chance to install it at that point if they are interested. At that
point it could drop them into the software manage screen with the
required and recommended services filtered in the package list and the
required ones to be already checked off so all the user has to do is
click to Accept/Install them.
Ultimately when I was trying to configure my openSUSE for the network,
for which I am still very new to even though I've learned a lot so far,
I was confused by all of the choices and ended up making a bigger mess
than accomplishing what I was trying to do.
PS: This is my frist openFATE entry. If I am going about this
incorrectly please let me know.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-07-03 19:23:21)
As I see it, yast has no knowledge which submodules are not installed,
i.e. does not have a list of all potential yast modules. That would be
er, well, problematic too because everytime you devise a new yast
submodule you would have to edit the list of known modules, and that
does not sound too feasible.

#2: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2009-07-10 14:07:03)
I remember there were some discussions about this but I don't remember
the outcome. Duncan, do you remember?

+ #4: Duncan Mac-Vicar (dmacvicar) (2010-03-09 15:21:25) (reply to #2)
+ Lukas did something in this area time ago in the old control panel.
+ Added him and Katarina as technical contacts.

#3: Divan Burger (divanburger) (2009-08-31 16:14:18)
Why can not a submodule contain the list of packages it requires to
function, then Yast can request the list from the submodule and thereby
determine if what it requires is installed or not. If everything is not
installed grey it. Some sort of cache mechanism could be used to stre
the result.