[openFATE 308189] Consolidating terminology: update and upgrade
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:44:37 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
Feature #308189, revision 7
Title: Consolidating terminology: update and upgrade

- openSUSE-11.3: New
+ openSUSE-11.3: Evaluation

Requested by: Karl Eichwalder (keichwa)

In the past, we just used the term "update" for all update related
things, because we were told "upgrade" is suitable for hardware related
upgrades only.
With the advent of zypper, the term "upgrade" (dup, dist-upgrade) is
back for upgrading the system complete from one version "n" to the next
version "n+1" (yes, you can "upgrade" within one version, but that's a
special case...).
The term is fine and I'd like us to use "upgrade" in YaST and
everywhere else where suitable.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Avoid confusion. ATM, I'm forced to use different terms
in the chapter of the manual, if I describe the same task.

#1: Ján Kupec (jkupec) (2009-10-23 12:03:06)
I'm not an expert on English, but my understanding of these terms as
should be used with software is as follows:
upgrade = installation of newer (major) version of a package or
distribution, which brings NEW FEATURES
update = installation of ANY NEWER VERSION of a package or distro
In short, upgrade is 'feature-wise', update is 'time-wise'. If we'd
agree on this definition, then:
* upgrades are a subset of updates
* bug fixes (e.g. openSUSE updates/patches), are mere 'updates' - they
should not bring new features
* distribution update is always an upgrade - it always brings new
features
So if one wants to emphasize that the update brings new features, s/he
should use 'upgrade'. In all other cases just 'update' is fine.
What do you think? What do experts on English think?

#2: Karl Eichwalder (keichwa) (2009-10-23 13:18:38) (reply to #1)
Yes, but let's decide with customer focus in mind ;)
The customer does only package updates (via online maintenace updates)
and system upgrades (e.g., from 11.1 to 11.2).
Those who do "zypper dup" within Factory or from from one milestone to
the next, are developers and not the default audience of our manuals.
This means, zypper messages are fine and yast needs adjustments.

#3: Juergen Weigert (jnweiger) (2009-10-23 15:18:43)
Jan, I like your definition in #1, feature-wise vs. time-wise. Although
the distinction is not very precise. Karl, I haven't seen any reason
why the term upgrade should only apply to hardware. Do we have a
reference for this?
I'd like to go one step further and suggest: "Upgrade" applies to
changes in the version of a distribution. Whenever /etc/SuSE-release
changes, it is an upgrade (or downgrade). When going from one milestone
(aka alpha .. beta .. RC) to another, this is also an upgrade, even if
the exact milestone is not visible in /etc/SuSE-release.
"Update" applies to changes in the version of a packages. when
installing a newer package version that is still released for the same
version of the distribution, then it is an update. (No Idea, what
installing an older version should be called ...)
Installing a new package that would belong to the next distribution,
into a system, would qualify as a package upgrade with Jan's
definition. For disambiguation, I'd rather call it a cross-distribution
package update, or something else.
How do other linux distros (or windows?) use these terms?
This fate requires two things: a) come up with sound definitions. b)
implement the definition.
I am aware that implementing exact definitions here may create
additional workload for yast, zypper, and documentation team. For my
part, I'd say, it is worth the effort.