[openFATE 308892] Replace scim with IBUS
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:32:28 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Rémy Marquis (Spyhawk)
Feature #308892, revision 2
Title: Replace scim with IBUS

Requested by: Mingxi Wu (mingxi_wu)

SCIM upstream is almost dead. We should not keep an unmaintained
software in openSUSE.
IBUS (http://code.google.com/p/ibus/), a new developed input method is
very active and full functionality, and other distributions like Ubuntu
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/desktop-karmic-input-methods) and Fedora
already had done this.

We have some contributors done the IBUS packaging at OBS
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home:swyear:ibus .
Everything is OK on my openSUSE 11.2 box except fail to enable it in a
gnomesu window, but this is not a problem as other distributions don't
have this bug.

+ #1: Rémy Marquis (spyhawk) (2010-03-02 08:32:22)
+ ibus in openSUSE by default would be great. Also, ibus seems to solve
+ many problems that occur with others IME under Linux (such as no dead
+ keys for no-US keyboard), and is far better integrated under KDE4,
+ thanks to kimpanel.
+ I am using the packages of swyear and everything is working without
+ problem.
+