[openFATE 307588] Add nouveau drivers for xorg
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:39:31 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Johannes Obermayr (jobermayr)
Feature #307588, revision 8
Title: Add nouveau drivers for xorg

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Luis Medinas (lmedinas)

Hi, nouveau drivers (nvidia) are the only good alternative to nvidia
closed source drivers. It would be awesome to use it on openSUSE 11.2
by default.

#1: Todd R (theblackcat) (2009-12-03 17:02:12)
I think this is a good idea, by the time 11.3 rolls around nouveau
should be in pretty good shape.  Maybe not perfect, maybe not as good
as the official binary drivers, but probably far better than the
official (crippled) open-source nv driver.
In the meantime one of the nouveau developers has provided an openSUSE
repository for the drivers:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jobermayr/
(http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jobermayr/openSUSE_11.2/)

#2: Luis Medinas (lmedinas) (2009-12-03 17:14:00)
Since Factory is open for everyone maybe he can add the package and
maintain it. Looks like Novell Xorg developers don't have enough
resources to maintain it.

+ #3: Johannes Obermayr (jobermayr) (2009-12-10 17:38:26)
+ It is very nice to see my OBS project here.
+
+ Just for clarification:
+ I am not a XOrg/nouveau developer - more a packager just for fun...
+ I do not understand any kind of source code (I am happy if I get some
+ very simple loops in very very old QBasic working...)
+ This is because lack of time -> I need it for translating KDE and my
+ study...
+ I "robbed" many things from Ruediger Oertel (home:oertel:Radeon_DRI2).
+ All I can do is daily packaging and asking developers (mainly upstream)
+ if something is broken...
+
+ For proper installation you should read:
+
+ English: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/openSUSEPackages
+ German: http://de.opensuse.org/Nouveau
+ (http://de.opensuse.org/Nouveau)
+
+ I will write a short article with links to above articles and this
+ feature request for "Weekly News" #101 or #102.