[New: openFATE 308503] Leverage jockey for driver management
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 06:33:59 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Atri Bhattacharya (badshah400)

Feature #308503, revision 1
Title: Leverage jockey for driver management

Requested by: Atri Bhattacharya (badshah400)

Installing non-oss drivers like Nvidia for display and broadcom drivers for
wireless in openSUSE is still quite painful. A user has to know he/she has a
non-supported chipset and what it is to actualy add the repository from the
list of cimmunity-repositories or browse to the required website, for example

http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

Ubuntu uses a driver management software called jockey that works quite well
for them actually. From the website of maintainers
[https://launchpad.net/jockey]

"Jockey provides an user interface and desktop integration for installation and
upgrade of third-party drivers. It is written in a distribution agnostic way,
and to be easily portable to different frontends (GNOME, KDE, command line)."

We should make use of jockey for driver management in openSUSE 11.3 by default,
and leverage the software for our puposes. It will immensely benefit openSUSE
usability-wise to have the drivers detected at first boot and have them
installed by one-click-install or zypper for example.

List Navigation