[openFATE 306600] Tooltips for /sbin, /var, /opt, /mnt, /proc etc directories
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:06:13 +0000 (GMT)
Feature changed by: Todd R (TheBlackCat)
Feature #306600, revision 9
Title: Tooltips for /sbin, /var, /opt, /mnt, /proc etc directories

Requested by: Glöm Det (searching_for_answers)

I'm not the most exprienced Unix/Linux user and as a nuub I see how you
could make it easier for other nuubs coming from Windows. When I look
at the openSUSE directory(is it shared with Linux and Unix?) I see alot
complicated abbriviations like sbin, var, opt, mnt, proc and stuff. Now
I could google what they stand for and what types of files are in there
but it would be easier if I didn't have too. There for I suggest that
you rename... DON'T GIVE UP... those files to their full extension
names. I know this wouldn't work out well since it might be important
for developers and the speed of terminal writing that the remain as
they are. Instead here is my solution. Keep the directory as it is but
add this feature too openSUSE. When you hold/right click your mouse
over the folder the full name appears. If you for exampel hold it over
the lib folder the full name of library appears and a short description
telling what kinds of files that are stored here. When you comes to
making your own folders you are are able too write description and the
full name if you want.
That can't be too complicated to make right. It is a small change that
will make it alot better. But maybe I'm not asking the right persons
here. Maybe Dolphin the file manager's crew is the one to tell about
this suggestions. In that case or if you have any questions. Send a
private message to Searching_for_answers .
P.S. I discoverd this Use and Test cases now. I don't know what they're
for so I leave them blank

#1: Stephan Binner (beineri) (2009-07-01 12:39:39)
A nuub has to IMHO not to care about directories outside his home
directories, every more advanced user can look their meaning up from
technical documentation and learn them once.

#2: Glöm Det (searching_for_answers) (2009-07-01 23:55:54)
Every nuub wants too became less of a nuub. Why not make it easier for
them? If you understand the OS it is easier to us it. And yet again
this isn't that hard to program. My guesses are that it will probably
take less then 2 weeks for a single programmer.

#3: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-11-30 23:29:55)
Would a solution be to re-use whatis(1) and write short over-view man
pages on /etc, /bin, /lib & /usr etc?
Then the feature would be much more useful in Dolphin, as pointing at a
command like "buffer" instead of (executable, 18.6KiB) could display
additionally "buffer (1)           - very fast reblocking program".
Would seem an idea to present upstream to KDE4/GNOME ppl though for
their filemangler teams.

#4: Tristan Miller (psych0naut) (2009-12-01 13:08:24)
Seems like an innocent enough feature for a high-level file manager
like Dolphin to implement.  Descriptions of these top-level directories
could be adapted from the FHS.

#5: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-12-02 17:37:13) (reply to #4)
The GUI file manager imploementer's probably won't like the burden of
documenting system directories though.  Hence the suggestion to de-
couple tool tips produced from whatis(1) which just took 8ms to run on
my system.

+ #6: Todd R (theblackcat) (2009-12-03 17:06:03)
+ This is similar to an idea in the KDE brainstorming forum:
+ http://forum.kde.org/brainstorm.php#idea38910
+ "This idea is that, when you first install KDE, certain folders (and
+ files perhaps as well) will automatically have Nepomuk metadata
+ assigned to them (comments certainly, maybe tags as well). Examples
+ include the root folders, which should have comments saying what each
+ of them is used for in Linux systems, and your Documents, Desktop, and .
+ kde4 folders, which similarly should have comments saying what they are
+ for. It should be easy for distributions to add their own initial
+ metadat for folders they add.
+ Similarly, default pictures the system comes with, for instance
+ wallpapers, should already have informative tags."