[New: openFATE 308453] Integrate patch (update) into software management module
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 05:18:01 +0100 (CET)
Feature added by: Todd R (TheBlackCat)

Feature #308453, revision 1
Title: Integrate patch (update) into software management module

Requested by: Todd R (theblackcat)

Currently there are two different modules for managing software, the software
management module and the online update module.  They are mostly the same in
terms of the user interface, you can search and install software, browse
patterns, groups, repositories, and more or less do most common package
management tasks from both.  The only major differences that I can see are that
the software management module does not let you install patches, the online
update module has an extra menu (patch, which just has duplicates of most of
the actions in the "package" menu), and online update does not display as much
information when doing the installation (like a remaining time estimate).

I think this is a fairly redundant approach, there is really no reason I can
think of why the software management module can't have the patches tab, and why
patches can't use the same menu as packages since they have mostly the same
items.  So I think combining them into a single module would be more efficient
and easier to maintain.

You could still have the two modules listed in YaST if you want, clicking on
the "software managment" module would just start you off in the search tab
while the "online update" module would start you off in the patches tab.  But I
think it would be better still if you just had one module.  When the software
management module opens it checks if there are any patches, if there are it
displays them and if not it goes straight to the "search" tab (or your
last-used tab).

List Navigation