[openFate 303873] Reducing pop ups during installation
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:23:16 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Michael Loeffler (michl@xxxxxxxxxx)
Feature #303873, revision 11
Title: Reducing pop ups during installation

openSUSE-11.1: Rejected by Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2008-07-08 11:01:26
reject reason: This can wait. Postponing.

- openSUSE-11.2: New
+ openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation

SLED-11: Rejected by Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2008-07-08 11:01:16
reject reason: This can wait. Postponing.

SLED-11-SP1: New

SLES-11: Rejected by Stanislav Visnovsky(visnov@xxxxxxxxxx)
reject date: 2008-07-08 11:01:18
reject reason: This can wait. Postponing.

SLES-11-SP1: New

Requested by: Martin Schmidkunz (mschmidkunz@xxxxxxxxxx)
+ Partner organization: openSUSE.org

Before installing the system the user is asked to confirm various
licenses. Each license is presented via pop up. Depending on the
selected packages the user might be forced to accept quite a lot of
them. This is quite unusable and we should think about how to reduce
these. One idea might be:
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Installation_nopopups.png
Not for SLES: Furthermore after accepting all these licenses the user
has to confirm the installation in an extra pop up. I do not see the
necessity for that pop up as users made the experience with other
operating systems who do not ask the user for comfirmation (Apple Mac
OS, MS Windows, Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora) that
installation means that something will happen to their hard drive.

#1: Matthias Eckermann(mge@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-05-15 12:10:27)
I agree with and like:
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Installation_nopopups.png
But the extra pop-up for "YES, I really want to wipe my harddisk" must
remain, as it is a security and safetiness issue. Marking this part of
the idea as "Not for SLES".
Federico, what is your opinion here?

#2: Michael Loeffler(michl@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-05-15 12:27:44)
Ciaran can you give the view from a legal perspective?

#3: Ciaran Farrell(cfarrell@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-05-16 11:51:38)
I like the setup described in the screenshot and believe that it
certainly gives the person installing the opportunity to review every
license individually. In fact, I'm going to suggest to Patrick Mc Bride
that this could be a default license acceptance method as it is far
better than what we currently have available (i.e. all or nothing
system). I'll ask Christopher De Nicolo for his opinion (from a german
legal perspective).

#4: Federico Lucifredi(flucifredi@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-05-22 15:47:44)
I just went through the 11.0 beta 3 workflow, and I am satisfied with
the current state.
the mock-up is ok, but consider this: while it is true that you get
prompted 5 times to approve licenses, if there is something that users
are trained to do, in all platforms, is precisely click accept :-)
I would say we can proceed with it, but I don't consider it a major
issue, and not a usability problem.
by the way, the 11.0 install workflow rocks :-)

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=303873