Re: [opensuse-factory] Chromium - looking for maintainer
On Mon, 2020-10-05 at 10:30 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
Heya all,

with the growing demands of chromium and my diminishing free time I
won't be really able to care for chromium in the future.

Any interested volunteers to take over its maintenance?

You need to be able to patch out gcc compilation issues and patch out
support for Leap as we have too old libs in some cases there.
In general most of the work can be cherry-picked from Fedora/Gentoo with
only minor tweaks on our side.
Most complex and breaking part is the vaapi hardware acceleration. Which
is currently borked as I don't have time to debug it further :(

Really no volunteers around to take on chromium maintenance?

Let me be the one to paint the dark picture if nobody steps up:
chromium will age like butter - really smelly and bad.

Considering the attack surface of any given web browser, if issues
against them are no longer being fixed, ther eis unfortunately no other
option left than to remove it from the distribution.

I'm sure as a collective we do not want chromium to disappear from
openSUSE, which in turn means we need to come together to find an
appropriate solution.

Volunteers, this is your moment!

Cheers,
Dominique