[opensuse-factory] Thunderbird 78.3.1 is broken
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
==== MozillaThunderbird ====
Version update (68.12.0 -> 78.3.1)
Subpackages: MozillaThunderbird-translations-common

- Mozilla Thunderbird 78.3.1
* fix crash in nsImapProtocol::CreateNewLineFromSocket (bmo#1667120)
- Mozilla Thunderbird 78.3.0
MFSA 2020-44 (bsc#1176756)
* CVE-2020-15677 (bmo#1641487)
Download origin spoofing via redirect
* CVE-2020-15676 (bmo#1646140)
XSS when pasting attacker-controlled data into a
contenteditable element
* CVE-2020-15678 (bmo#1660211)
When recursing through layers while scrolling, an iterator
may have become invalid, resulting in a potential use-after-
free scenario
* CVE-2020-15673 (bmo#1648493, bmo#1660800)
Memory safety bugs fixed in Thunderbird 78.3
- requires NSPR >= 4.25.1
- removed obsolete thunderbird-bmo1664607.patch
- Mozilla Thunderbird 78.2.2
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/78.2.2/releasenotes
- added thunderbird-bmo1664607.patch required for builds w/o updater
(boo#1176384)
- Mozilla Thunderbird 78.2.1
* based on Mozilla's 78 ESR codebase
* many new and changed features
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/78.0/releasenotes/#whatsnew
* built-in OpenPGP support (enigmail neither required nor supported)
- added platform patches:
* mozilla-s390x-skia-gradient.patch
* mozilla-pipewire-0-3.patch
* mozilla-bmo1512162.patch
* mozilla-bmo1626236.patch
* mozilla-bmo998749.patch
* mozilla-sandbox-fips.patch
- removed obsolete platform patches
* mozilla-s390-bigendian.patch
* mozilla-nestegg-big-endian.patch
* mozilla-openaes-decl.patch
* mozilla-cubeb-noreturn.patch
Unfortunately Thunderbird 78.3.1 does not start on my computer, it hangs forever.

Safe mode itself (thunderbird -safe-mode + "Continue in Safe Mode") works, but the safe mode repair options "Disable all add-ons" + "Reset toolsbars and controls" + "Make Changed and Restart") also let Thunderbird hanging forever.

To work around this problem, I installed Thunderbird 78.3.1 from https://www.thunderbird.net/. The version from there works without issues. But I had to edit ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini so that my "Default User" profile is displayed in Profile Manager.

Anyone else having this problem?

Greetings,
Björn