[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2020/35
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

This week we have published a few snapshots less than normal. To
‘compensate’, the next one will be huge to download though. On August
25, I merged the change for libexecdir == /usr/libexec and since then
I’m fighting to QA after effects to get you a snapshot out that won’t
break in all corners. There will likely be some rough patches here and
there though.

Anyway, let’s see what DID happen in week 35: three snapshots have been
published (0821, 0823 and 0824) containing these changes:

* cURL 7.72.0
* NetworkManager 1.26.2
* fdupes 2.1.2 (upgraded from 1.61)
* systemd 245.7: NOTE: an issue with a dangling symlink in
/etc/systemd/system/tmp.mount was identified. A fix for this is in the
TW-Update channel

As mentioned earlier, the next snapshot to come out (currently testing
0826, but this could still be discarded too) will be ‘large’ with
respect to download size, as literally all 15000 packages in Tumbleweed
have been rebuilt. There were multiple reasons to trigger a full
rebuild (and I intentionally collected them to have this done in one
go)

* RPM: %{_libexecdir} changed to /usr/libexec. As this affects a lot
of packages, and can change build results based on dependent packages
file locations, a full rebuild was needed to be consistent in the end
* RPM: The compression payload of our packages has been changed to
zstd compression. This generally should result in faster decompression
(read: installation) of RPMs. Downside: These packages can only be read
with Leap 15.2 (and future versions) and Tumbleweed (newer than
20190713).
* build: the build package was changed to also copy pkgconfig .pc
files into the -devel-32bit package, if this is defined to be built in
baselibs.conf.
* brp-check-suse: The symlinks pointing to /etc/alternatives are no
longer converted to be relative symlinks, as update-alternatives did
not really like that and kept on complaining to the users.

And besides all what has happened, the Stagings are still filled up
with:

* Linux kernel 5.8.4
* Mozilla Firefox 80
* Chromium 85
* Boost 1.74.0
* Kubernetes 1.19
* systemd package drops the dependency on sysvinit-tools
* glibc 2.32
* binutils 2.35
* gettext 0.21
* bison 3.7.1