Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On 17/07/2020 16.03, dieter wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 14:59:59 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 17/07/2020 14.33, dieter wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 14:20:42 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

For instance, when I want to attach a file to a bugzilla, and the
file is owned by root, I first copy that file to /tmp so that my
user FF can read it and attach it.

but what should keep root from copying the file directly to your
home directory where your user FF can read it and attach it?

That in /tmp it will be seen and deleted at some point.
That /tmp is much shorter to write, twice.
Does it make sense to keep it after you uploaded it?
If not you can just delete it after you uploaded it.

Certainly, but one forgets. The user can not delete it, anyway, it's owned by root.

Or occasionally check your home directory for cruft.

See above :-)

Reminds me:

Telcontar:~ # save_y2logs
Saving YaST logs to /tmp/y2log-Io0UJg.tar.xz
Telcontar:~ #

(17 megs)
If you have a script already to do it then it is a one time effort to
modify the destination.

It is not my script.

<https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Report_a_YaST_bug>

In the worst
case root can chown and chmod the copied file so it is readable
for you.

I can not (should not) do that with the system directories where it
is stored.
Seems I was not clear enough, sorry, I meant to "chown and chmod the
copied file" at the destination it was copied to.

Well, yes.

As I understand it the proposed change to tmpfs is a default
configuration option. A user(the administrator of the system) can keep
the /tmp directory if he prefers. I do not know yet how to decide
myself. But it makes sense to every now and then rethink old habits.
And very likely there is no "one setting fits all needs" way to
configure it.

I much prefer not to change things. Those that so desire, can do.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)