Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Mon, 2020-07-13 at 09:49 +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 5:49 AM Richard Brown <rbrown@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hello community,

We recently moved MicroOS and Kubic to use tmpfs for /tmp instead
of
writing files there to disk.

Right off the bat, +1 .. I have been using this since a long
time..that said..

- Reducing wear on SSDs/SD card storage

This is actually a non issue with modern SSD devices.

Is it really? I'm doing ~3-4 bootstrap / test cycles of GCC a day
each ending up with around 10GB of throw-away storage (but the
actual amount of written data is higher). That's of course still
far away of consumer-grade SSD write endurance, for example
a 256GB Samsung EVO has 5 years warranty at 150TBW but that makes
only 82GB writes per day where those throw-away bootstraps would
be more than half of the specified endurance.

So I'm doing those in tmpfs (w/ 32GB ram my tmpfs is limited to 16GB
via manual configuration).

[no, I don't actually own a 256GB SSD but a 512GB one where endurance
tends to be higher]

Richard.

It's most certainly an issue for SD Cards still.

Regards,
--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer