Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
  • From: Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 13:02:43 +0100
On Friday, 10 July 2020 10:49:45 BST Richard Brown wrote:
Hello community,

We recently moved MicroOS and Kubic to use tmpfs for /tmp instead of
writing files there to disk.

This means files written to /tmp as never written to disk and so
dissapear on reboot.

i'd like to be able to keep /tmp files on disk as i've not got that much memory
so if its configurable, that would be great. i'd love /tmp to be emptied on
shutdown.

This was for a number of reasons, including

- Reducing wear on SSDs/SD card storage
- Using less disk space and being more tidy generally
- Being more like many other Distro's and Unixes including Debian,
Arch, Fedora, Solaris, etc
- Being more consistant with the FHS recommendations that /tmp is
flushed on reboot
https://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#TMPTEMPORARYFILES

All of these reasons also apply for regular openSUSE, so I would like
to propose that Tumbleweed moves to tmpfs for /tmp soon also.

The impact should be minimal, as all POSIX compliant applications
should already assume that /tmp is not persistant between invocations
of the program.

As we're walking paths that other distros long have, my own research
suggests that vast majority of problematic /tmp use has already been
resolved, such as by using /var/tmp instead.

We will likely impliment this as systemd mount unit, meaning if people
disable it then they will be able to return to the old behaviour.

Does anyone have any objections, concerns, thoughts?

Regards,

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20200701
Qt: 5.15.0 KDE Frameworks: 5.71.0 - KDE Plasma: 5.19.2 - kwin 5.19.2