[opensuse-factory] Re: Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
Am 10.07.20 um 14:13 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
People are using /tmp, not software, to store things, and some of them
can be gigabytes. We really do not want that to go into ram.

You can still put /tmp on disk if you want, the question is if tmpfs is
a reasonable default. Since many other Linux distributions also use
tmpfs for /tmp, I don't think there are lots of people running into this
issue.

And then software use /tmp for things like downloads. Like firefox.

Only if you click on "Open" instead of "Save", which is something you're
likely not doing for very large files.

Then, there are people that do not reboot their machines in days, or
months. It doesn't help to have all that in ram, nor to not have old
files deleted before a reboot.

That's where systemd-tmpfiles comes to the rescue. Unfortunately we
disable the default setting of removing files from /tmp after a
reasonable time, but that discussion could also be warmed up again.