Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:10:30 +0200, Richard Brown <rbrown@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 14:08 +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 13:51:10 +0200, Michal Kubecek
<mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

Chiming in late, sorry

[...]

I would vehemently oppose, as we have 3rd-party applications that
write to (NOT configurable) /tmp and expect it to last there for a
certain time (even after a reboot).

To workaround of that, I have created several symbolic links on /tmp
to /data/tmp (or /opt/app/tmp or whatever) and I would be very
unpleased to see all those symlinks disappear on a reboot. That
would mean I have to write service files that fire up immediately
after /tmp
comes up and recreates those symlinks before the application wants
to start.

I really like to keep my /tmp's as clean as possible, but sometimes
it is not under our control :(

FWIW I never had to do anything like that on /usr/tmp

Those applications are in serious breach of both the FHS
recommendations and POSIX requirements.

I would imagine they have a vested interest in fixing that problem.

The example I can come up with is a production system where 4 parties
are involved: end-user application, management-layer, database layer,
database server. Of those the management layer has been declared out-of
service (dead, no maint) but the whole of the suite still depends on
that for at least two more years (some weird law that causes this
requirement). The owner of that product is unwilling to make any change
to the product. No CVE fixes, not bug fixes, no feature request or
whatever, so the engineers responsible for the end-user application and
the database layer both have to work around those issues.

Working with old propriatary software sometimes really takes away the
fun out of ICT :(

--
H.Merijn Brand http://tux.nl Perl Monger http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.31 porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux