Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 14:08 +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 13:51:10 +0200, Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

Chiming in late, sorry

We recently moved MicroOS and Kubic to use tmpfs for /tmp instead
of
writing files there to disk.
[...]
All of these reasons also apply for regular openSUSE, so I would
like to propose that Tumbleweed moves to tmpfs for /tmp soon
also.

I would vehemently oppose, as we have 3rd-party applications that
write to (NOT configurable) /tmp and expect it to last there for a
certain time (even after a reboot).

To workaround of that, I have created several symbolic links on /tmp
to /data/tmp (or /opt/app/tmp or whatever) and I would be very
unpleased to see all those symlinks disappear on a reboot. That would
mean I have to write service files that fire up immediately after
/tmp
comes up and recreates those symlinks before the application wants to
start.

I really like to keep my /tmp's as clean as possible, but sometimes
it
is not under our control :(

FWIW I never had to do anything like that on /usr/tmp

Those applications are in serious breach of both the FHS
recommendations and POSIX requirements.

I would imagine they have a vested interest in fixing that problem.

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer