Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 7/10/20 11:49 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
Does anyone have any objections, concerns, thoughts?

I'm fine with the idea, but it would be nice if existing systems
wouldn't be switched
over without asking,

Any creative idea how to do that with zypper dup?

so that there is no unexpected loss of data - I do happen to
have dumped some stuff into /tmp that I still need and I assume other
users might have
done the same. Better be safe than sorry.

There would be no data loss. As Richard explained, no change on upgrade
for btrfs systems that use the current defaults (tmp mounted from
subvolume via fstab). Systems not using btrfs would get a tmpfs mount on
top of the existing /tmp. So the content would still be there, just not
visible. Which might be problem of it's own but regaining access should
be as easy as "systemctl mask tmp.mount".

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel