Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Friday, 10 July 2020 20:12:10 ACST Joerg Schilling wrote:
Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
In other words: if you have files that lay around in /tmp. this just eats
up swap.

Yes you are right, it is anonmem.
But for those without swap configured, it is equal to RAM.

It is recommended to have a swap that is 2x the size of the RAM.

I have 32GB RAM on my desktop machine. I've not run swap for over 4 years. I
do use tmpfs for /tmp (have done for >5 years), and I've never had an out-of-
memory situation, even with 2 or 3 Windows VM's (with 8GB RAM each) running
simultaneously.

[I haven't had to do that for a while, mind you, but there was a time when I
was working remotely and needed 2 VPN sessions to 2 different networks, hence
the 2 VM's.]

If you did have /tmp in a filesystem, this eats up disk space as well and if
you configured swap to be on ZFS, this is even shared space with the other
filesystems, so it does not have any disadvantage at all.

Jörg