Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 12:26 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

/tmp is one of the weirder places in a system.

It is nice that FHS says it is not persistent across reboots, but if
you have a
workstation or server which is "never" (or at least, seldomly)
rebooted, the
directory can still fill up - and take away RAM from both oneself and
other
users.

Firefox for example has the very bad habit of dumping all its .xpi
file
downloads into /tmp, and not cleaning them.

Users have bad habit :^) in abusing /tmp as the shortest way to store
a file in
a known location for some time - because any other location would be
persistent
(but /tmp might be too heh) and the path much longer.

The POSIX standard (aka IEEE P1003.2) makes it a hard requirement that
any application should not assume that /tmp is persistant between
*application executations* never mind between reboots.

I do not think we should be catering for use cases that totally breach
the oldest core tenants of how things should be done.

/tmp shouldn't be persistant, keeping the contents around in memory
until the next reboot is still generous.

At some point we should reserve the right to just say 'no' to
horrifically bad practice. I feel this is one of those cases,
especially as even conserative platforms like Debian made this jump
years ago.

Another thought that crossed my mind is making systemd set up a
PrivateTmp for
login sessions, i.e. make /tmp a bind mount to the users home dir, so
it does
actually account towards their disk quota.

Applications that want to use the users home directory can use
$XDG_CACHE_HOME, like firefox does when delivered by flatpak for
example.

That would be more sensible than potentially relocating tmp files
intended for the system scope to a users home directory.

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer