Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, Jul 10, Arvin Schnell wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

We will likely impliment this as systemd mount unit, meaning if people
disable it then they will be able to return to the old behaviour.

In general fstab is still the preferred method for that, see
systemd.mount(8). Why deviate from that? I know there is a mount
unit file somewhere in the system.

Because fstab is a big, static file hardly changeable by a distribution
later. Many things (all the /proc, /sys, /dev, ...) stuff is meanwhile
moved out of fstab to allow distributions to react on changed
requirements. And even systemd it self is perfering tmp.mount for this
and not /etc/fstab.
In general: system specific things belongs to /etc/fstab, distribution
specific management things belong into something which is easy
update- and adjustable, like a systemd unit.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
Managing Director: Felix Imendoerffer (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)