Re: [opensuse-factory] Edit existing /etc/fstab, YES or NO? WAS: Proposal: /tmp as tmpfs
On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 10:05 +0000, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:

We will likely impliment this as systemd mount unit, meaning if
people
disable it then they will be able to return to the old behaviour.

In general fstab is still the preferred method for that, see
systemd.mount(8). Why deviate from that? I know there is a mount
unit file somewhere in the system.

ciao
Arvin

To copy-paste the answer from when the Fedora community discussed this
back in 2012:

"We believe that /etc/fstab is the place to configure real file
systems, for actual user data, backed by real devices. The API file
system /tmp does not qualify for that in our eyes. /tmp is very much
something that should just exist as part of the OS and needs no user
configuration. It is our goal to allow systems to boot up fully
functional with an (almost) empty /etc/fstab. Also it is much easier to
enable this logic for existing installs without the need to patch
/etc/fstab. This is especially the case since making code that patches
/etc/fstab like this idempotent is very hard since the user could just
remove the entry we patched in and we couldn't distuingish this case
from the not-yet-patched case.

Note that /etc/fstab takes precedence over the systemd unit file.
Systems which mount a specific file system to /tmp hence will continue
to work as always."

In our case, as /tmp is by default a btrfs subvolume (and so mentioned
in the fstab), this actually means my proposed change will not impact
existing default systems, unless the consensus that we impliment this
change in a way that edits peoples existing fstabs.

I'd be nervous about that, but I'm open to the possibility.

What do people think?

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer