Re: [opensuse-factory] [RFC] OpenSUSE Distribution Tiers Policy
On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:31 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 12:29 PM Dirk Müller <dirk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the feedback - you're touching the point I also feel least
comfortable with. so lets dive right into it.
Funny that you bring up Fedora as a counter example. from the first
line of: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#Primary_Architectures

"There are *two* *tiers* of architectures with Fedora support"

On the other hand, Debian seems to call it 'supported architecture'
and 'ports'. I don't like the term 'supported' as that is a trigger
word in other contexts..

I think we should just straight up drop this idea of tiering. Is there
a good reason we can't just go with primary and secondary
architectures as other distros (Debian, Fedora, etc.) do?

I used the term Tier because I was looking for one word that includes
'main' and 'ports', which
are the two levels/architecture groupings I am aiming for.

I agree that 'Tier 1/premium' is not a good wording. I didn't find a
better one. Primary and secondary
is maybe also not inclusive-language enough.

For me the most natural way would be to describe them as 'main' and
'ports', and that's what we used most commonly everywhere
so far. I just need a word for 'both'. Maybe it's just 'Architecture
Policy'.

So I rename it to 'openSUSE Distribution Architecture Policy' ?

That seems like a great solution. Agree?

Calling it that makes sense. Perhaps we can go with "main" and
"alternate" for architectures, since that makes more sense from the
perspective you're talking about.

Also, wrt that document, as all documents tend to in wikis, it's out of date. :)

There is no concept of non-blocking architectures in Fedora anymore.
That document talks about an era where architectures were separated
into different Koji instances and different teams manage it. This
hasn't been the case for a few years now, and all architectures are
equally supported and equally blocking for every package build.