Re: [opensuse-factory] initrd -> initramfs

(reposting, sending error on my side)

On 08/05/2020 16.23, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 4:45 PM Stefan Seyfried <> wrote:
Am 08.05.20 um 13:58 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
Thus, in a multiboot environment there are two possibilities:

- grub is updated on all bootable partitions to keep track of the
actual kernels that exist in every other bootable (Linux) partition.

- Just have one entry per bootable partition using the symlink. No need
to update them each time there is a kernel update on another Linux
partition.

There is at least a third possibility for working multiboot:
* install each OS's bootloader (does not need to be grub, can be ntldr
or whatever) into its own boot partition
* have one "first stage boot loader" that only chainloads these
bootloaders from the other partitions. Install that boot loader into the
MBR.

Yes. This is the only sane way to multiboot. This is actually what
original os-prober was about - it chainloaded foreign OS *bootloader*.
It is unfortunate that later os-prober was misused to parse foreign OS
bootloader configuration instead.

That's a pity.

However, in my case it is EFI booting, so Stefan method could not be applied (no MBR). Indeed I tried, I failed at chainloading the second grub, would not work.

I got it working with separate Grubs, with a) booting the other boot kernel, or b) selecting the other book in BIOS. Just c) chainloding failed.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)