Re: [opensuse-factory] initrd -> initramfs
On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 7:03 AM Martin Wilck <Martin.Wilck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 10:27 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:
IMHO an important point is that such fallout still could be justified
if
the change fixed an actual problem affecting users or improved the
distribution for users in a significant way. I don't see either in
the
reasoning (for the rename) provided so far.

I fully agree. Daniel has put forward two arguments:

1. formally correct naming of the files,
2. removal of SUSE-specific patches.

Wrt 1.) I'd say it's an academic argument, irrelevant and not worth
giving a single thought, if it's clear that the name change will cause
real problems for real people.

2.) is a different issue. The negative effect of ongoing maintenance
efforts shouldn't be underestimated. However, in this particular case I
don't see a real problem. AFAICS the current dracut code base contains
only two related commits:

1442c9d Fix initramfs-$ver.img vs initrd-$ver in dracut-initramfs-
restore.sh
16f2179 Adjust initramfs-$kernel.img to SUSE default: initrd-$kernel

These amount to 8 deleted and 6 added code lines in total. I dare say
that that's also not worth even the slightest risk of causing
regressions for anyone.

@Daniel, please correct me if I have overlooked something important.

This delta has knock-on effects, too:

* It makes it difficult for third-party software to detect and
recognize our initramfs.
* It is confusing as the documentation on the internet about this
makes it hard for people to trust openSUSE's software is doing the
right thing

Also, someone upthread mentioned Debian. Debian uses upstream naming
in dracut mode, and uses their own naming with initramfs-tools. This
has been that way for a few releases of Debian now. Ubuntu is the same
way by virtue of inheriting that work in Debian.

I personally was bitten by the delta in SUSE distributions when doing
work as an ISV trying to support SUSE distributions. I want to make it
easier for others to support SUSE distributions, so I really welcome
this change.