Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: initrd -> initramfs
On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 10:48:59AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 10:40 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 10:15:10AM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
But how do you rationalise your perspective above that alternate
should be respected, at the same time that both you and Olaf are
dismissing the view that change is not a bad thing?

Change - as an abstract term - is not good or bad per se. Each change
brings some benefit (or at least it should, to be seriously
considered)
and usually also has some negative side effects. Whether you say
"Each
change is good because change is progress, progress is good, mkay..."
or
"Each change is bad, I want everything to stay as it was.", it's
equally
wrong. Instead, each change should be considered for its positive and
negative effects and weighted carefully if the benefits are worth the
trouble (or harm).

I agree....

In this particular case, the benefit is making the file names more
formally corect and the cost is actual harm for real people and their
systems. Of course, you are well known for your disregard of people
using packages or repositories not belonging to the distribution and
for
discouraging such practice. But your view is far from universal and
breaking such systems is a problem which outweights the benefit of
formal file name corectness by far.

....and then you go and discredit yourself with ad hominems..

If you look at this thread with a little less emotion and a lot more
professionalism I expect you will see that Daniel is not driving this
forward without sincerely trying to find ways of mitigating impacts to
peoples systems, and my contribution to the discussion was to try and
remind everyone that just because a solution works fine for the
specific dataset that is [SUSE], the superset that is [SUSE + openSUSE]
can have differing requirements and they should be considered rather
than dismissed out of hand for the sake of things that are relevant
only to [SUSE] (eg. SLE 10 compatability)

Now with those personal attacks out of the way, is anyone in this
thread willing to actually do something to help Daniel achieve his goal
of shaving the yak, or would you prefer to continue throwing mud?

...and yet it's you who feels offended by a "personal attack".
Unfortunately I can't say I'm really surprised. For the record, this
"personal attack" was a simple observation of views you yourself
presented in completely unambiguous way many times before and
explanation why I understand that you don't consider the fallout as
severe as others (like me) do. But if you prefer to feel offended and
call this observation "throwing mud", it's your choice.

I'm still waiting for an example of a real, palpable benefit of this
"shaving the yak", benefit that would at least remotely justify the
fallout that was already presented. And that is, from my point of view,
the basic problem: my position is that before we start asking how to do
it, we should always ask "why" and, consequently, wheter we want to.
So far, I can't say I'm convinced.

Michal Kubecek