Re: [opensuse-factory] initrd -> initramfs
Am 04.05.20 um 13:17 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
On Mon, 04 May 2020 12:37:01 +0200,
Daniel Molkentin wrote:
In an effort to get the naming right. I would like to propose renaming
the /boot/initrd-$(uname -r) images to /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img.

Rationale: We are not using initrd's (that is: actual block devices) for
a long time now. Instead, an initramfs is a cpio archive that gets
deflated to a tmpfs. And, this would allow me to drop some more of our
vendor patches off dracut.

I am currently collecting affected packages. So far I found:

- aaa_base (refresh_initrd script)

- YaST

- grub

- kdump

- perl-Bootloader

Anything I am missing?

The kernel-default and co who own those initrd files.

And that'll be tricky -- if we rename it, which file name to be
packaged would depend on dracut package, but dracut isn't included in
the build requirement for the kernel binary package. So we can't know
whether dracut prefers initramfs or initrd at the package build time.

One could also see initrd, initramfs or whatever it's called, what
format it has or even where it is placed an implementation detail of
dracut or whatever tool is used to make the system bootable.
From that angle it wouldn't be the kernel package's duty to own the
file. So whatever creates the initrd has to also clean it up when no
longer required.
In a sense like generated files or caches you'd normally place in /var
if it wasn't about booting.

cu
Ludwig

--