Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: initrd -> initramfs

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 14:47, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2020 14:27:24 +0200,
Neal Gompa wrote:
But nobody explicitly *supports* those users. We don't test or
validate against Kernel:* projects. If we add that to this, we'll be
paralyzed.

Well, quite a lot of users have been using Kernel:stable kernel on
Leap systems over many years. I have no statistics but I know it from
a pile of bug reports. That is, although Kernel:stable on Leap is not
tested systematically, practically it's been working, and any
regression is notified by the *real* user.

So yes, we are paralyzed in that sense, and we must keep it working on
both TW and Leap as much as possible. Breaking such a thing just for
some random consistency purpose doesn't sound like a valid excuse...

And then we wonder why nobody is willing to contribute to packages with
dozen of patches kept for seemingly no reason but to keep everything
compatible with SLE10. This is even more problematic with the kernel
since we cannot have version-specific packaging, because Kernel projects
build only for Factory/standard.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world