Re: [opensuse-factory] initrd <-> initramfs

On Monday 2020-05-04 12:37, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

In an effort to get the naming right. I would like to propose renaming
the /boot/initrd-$(uname -r) images to /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img.

Rationale: We are not using initrd's (that is: actual block devices) for
a long time now. Instead, an initramfs is a cpio archive that gets
deflated to a tmpfs. And, this would allow me to drop some more of our
vendor patches off dracut.

Devil's advocate here has attached a sample file which is both an initrd (can
be mounted) as well as an initramfs (can be cpio-extracted). Now what? Do you
call it initrd-5.xxx or initramfs-5.xxx?

Why would dracut even care about the filename? It's just a *name* and freely
choosable according to the manpage.