Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
  • From: Markus Koßmann <mkossmann_ml1@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 22:09:40 +0200
Am Montag, 13. April 2020, 20:39:27 CEST schrieb Raphael Lydia Bertoche:
Hans-Peter:

Markus:
So include a conflict with kernel-5.7 into the current nvidia driver.

Isn't Michal's idea a better one? It would require no human work upon
kernel update. I think this is a major difference.

And It would give neither false positives nor false negatives for
patch updates that break or minor updates that don't.

Though it is more complex, since something would have to be hooked on
next boot to detect that nvidia failed to be loaded.
It's even more complex : the driver could compile and load but crash then.
I doubt that you can detect such a case automatically.

On the other hand we have only 4 kernel updates a year ( to< minor>.0
releases) where we have to expect such a problem. And only if there is no
kernel abi change we have an additional update of nvidia just to update the
conflict . With kernel abi change we have to update nvidia anyways.