Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 20:55:09 +0200
From what I know, the Nvidia repository at
http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/x86_64/ (which is the one I
am using) is built from the nvidia-gfxGXX packages on OBS (e.g.,
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/X11:Drivers:Video/nvidia-gfxG05).
So I think the nvidia package on TW is under openSUSE's control. (Correct
me if I am wrong.) If not, we can fork this package and maintain a
community version of nvidia package, if Packman or other community OBS is
willing to accept it.

There will probably always a delay between release of a kernel and the fix
for nividia.
One way to work around this is a test in openQA. Not sure what the policy is
for proprietary drivers.

We have two kinds of openSUSE maintainers

1) a small group, that cares about NVidia

2) a large group, that don't want to be bothered with anything NVidia, and
especially not delay a new kernel release because of 1).

It has to be solved on local system scope, as Michal has pointed out.

@Raphael: we control, what is published as NVidia drivers by Maintainer Stefan
Dirsch. And Stefan is happy to cooperate. At least, that's my experience.

Cheers,
Pete