Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
  • From: Marius Kittler <mkittler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 16:21:45 +0200
Hi,

under Arch Linux it is generally possible to use the proprietary NVIDIA driver
without disturbances. I've been doing this for years. They solved this
problems in two different ways and it would be great if Tumbleweed would
implement at least one of them. That's how they do it:

1. The updates of the `linux` package are synchronized with updates of the
`nvidia` package. Even if there's no new version of NVIDIA they still rebuild
the package against the new kernel, e.g. https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/
packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/
nvidia&id=615899a8e8fc0d3c8809358c2f0ca64d5f899046. Only both packages are
released from the staging repo at the same time.

2. Of course 1. does not work when one has a custom kernel installed. In this
case the solution is to install the `nvidia-dkms` package. In this case the
kernel module is built via DKMS which is invoked by hooks of the package
manager on kernel updates. This requires installing kernel headers and takes
some additional time when updating but it generally works quite well.

Judging by the repository URL it looks like the NVIDIA driver is provided by
NVIDIA itself and not openSUSE. That likely means the synchronization required
for 1. is not achievable. But it still means that NVIDIA could implement 2. It
is the most generic solution anyways.

Best Regards
Marius