Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Updates on Tumbleweed with proprietary nvidia drivers installed could be more reliable I guess
Sorry maybe I was not clear before. After some thoughts, here is my current
position:

1. It is a fact that Nvidia driver updates slower than the kernel API changes.
It is not something that can be fixed in any short term.
2. As a TW+nvidia user, I do NOT expect openSUSE package maintainers to delay
the kernel release or keep patching the Nvidia driver to match the TW kernel
changes.
3. However, I do hope to somehow delay my kernel update until the Nvidia driver
catches up to make sure my desktop doesn't fail.

I think there are many ways to do 3. One solution is completely local, just as
described by Felix, but it would be largely manual. The package maintainer can
help automate this by defining an allowed range of kernel versions when the
Nvidia is installed (for example, with the "Conflicts" keyword in the spec).

- xz
--
Xu Zhao
i@xxxxxxxxxx