Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE:LEAP:15.1 missing dependency /usr/bin/bash for testssl.sh

Hello,

On Apr 4 11:22 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote (excerpt):
Am Samstag, 4. April 2020, 10:32:56 CEST schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Saturday 2020-04-04 10:00, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 04.04.20 um 08:38 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Saturday 2020-04-04 00:06, Christian Boltz wrote:
/usr/bin/env bash has some disadvantages:
- worst: the script might get a "random" bash (possibly /usr/local/bin/
bash) which is not expected by the packaged script, and might or might
not work

That's actually not a "disadvantage". The *programmer* clearly requested
a random bash - and, computers being what they are, deliver what was
asked for. Garbage in, garbage out.

And it actually lets the admin take control by putting the bash he likes

I had hoped you recognized the joke here.

As a sensible programmer, I would not want non-deterministic behavior in my
program. I want the one true bash that behaves the same everywhere, not
something the admin likes.

Hey, *non deterministic* behavior is not an disadvantage. It boldly imitates
how our world ticks at the moment, and that's been called the SNAFU principle.

Perhaps you confuse non deterministic behavior
with non predictable (unpredictable) behaviour?

When you introduce real random you get non deterministic behavior.

But I think how nowadays computers often behave is unpredictable
where unpredictable behaviour means what the user perceives.

Of course for computer experts things are perfectly predictable
because they always predict the unpredictable ;-)

By the way:

I think the topmost root cause for unpredictable behaviour
is RFC 1925 item 6a:

"It is always possible to add another level of indirection."

I think most issues that are called "bugs" nowadays
are in the end unpredictable behaviour (for the user)
so RFC 1925 item 6a is the topmost root cause for bugs.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg - Germany