Re: [opensuse-factory] Poll of VirtualBox users
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 09:45:49AM +1030, Simon Lees wrote:
On 3/20/20 7:26 AM, Larry Finger wrote:

It is not the guest additions. That needs to be done from within the
guest. I also need to run VM versions of Windows for certain tasks. At
least, you can now download and install that iso file from the "Devices"
menu item.

What I am talking about here is the PUEL-licensed stuff that adds the
USB 2 and USB 3 drivers to the host code. With that license, we cannot
distribute, but we could supply a script that ensures that it is always
updated when you update to a new version of VB.

Is SUSE's Legal team happy to interpret that license in this way?
otherwise the package is likely not to pass a legal review.

We used to have something like that for TTF font pack from Microsoft but
it was a package (pullin-msttfonts or so - I still have a lock for it on
some older systems) which anyone could decide not to install (IIRC it
was installed by default for some period of time).

I'm pretty sure there are people who would object to mandatory
installation of strangely lincensed Oracle stuff so I would suggest such
script to be in a separate subpackage so that anyone could decide not to
have it. It could still be installed by default (majority of virtualbox
users seems to want it) but there should be an option to opt out.

Michal Kubecek