Re: [opensuse-factory] Poll of VirtualBox users

On 3/20/20 7:26 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
On 3/19/20 3:38 PM, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Hi

Dne čtvrtek 19. března 2020 21:29:19 CET, Larry Finger napsal(a):
A user just contributed a script that downloads and installs the
extension
pack for VirtualBox. I would like to get the sense of VB users regarding
implementation of this script in the post-install routine for the
openSUSE
package.

I might be missing something, but the add-on You are supposed to
install in
the quest OS, aren't You? So If I install e.g. Windows (poke) in VB...
I guess
the script wouldn't be able to install the VB add-ons on that guest
Windows,
would it? So... I might be missing the point of it...? Otherwise,
anything
simplifying getting guest add-ons to installed VM is fine. :-)

It is not the guest additions. That needs to be done from within the
guest. I also need to run VM versions of Windows for certain tasks. At
least, you can now download and install that iso file from the "Devices"
menu item.

What I am talking about here is the PUEL-licensed stuff that adds the
USB 2 and USB 3 drivers to the host code. With that license, we cannot
distribute, but we could supply a script that ensures that it is always
updated when you update to a new version of VB.

Is SUSE's Legal team happy to interpret that license in this way?
otherwise the package is likely not to pass a legal review.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30