[opensuse-factory] Re: Python2 expulsion
  • From: Christophe Giboudeaux <christophe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 08:53:58 +0100
On samedi 14 mars 2020 02:16:05 CET Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
[Sorry for cross post]

Dear Christophe,

while I understand your strive for getting rid of Python2 builds, I have to
dispute the way, it is done right now.

Look at python-qt5, you added:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1500
ExclusiveArch: do_not_build
%endif

for the Python2 flavor.

This procedure makes it exceptionally hard for those of us, that still have
to deal with Python2 legacy, since it forces us to edit each and every
spec, just to remove these lines.

This was a request from Tomáš yesterday. To quote him: build issues this may
cause for packages using a single spec will be solved with macros.

osc whatdependson openSUSE:Factory python-qt5:python2 standard x86_64 doesn't
list many things anyway.

Suggestion/RFC

Create an conditional symbol at project level:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1500
%bcond_with deprecated_python2_build
%else
%bcond_without deprecated_python2_build
%endif

and in package specs:

%if ! %{with deprecated_python2_build}
ExclusiveArch: do_not_build
%endif

This would only be a short term solution.

When things settle down in factory, I plan to upgrade python-sip to 5.x which
doesn't support python2 but is required by the latest python-qt5 releases.

Christophe