Re: [opensuse-factory] Brace for Impact: Python 3.8 in TW Snapshot 0309
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 03:14:21 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 11. März 2020, 11:23:51 CET schrieb Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar:
Dear openSUSE Tumbleweed users,

It has been a long road, but we have reached the destination: Python
3.8 has been checked in to Factory after the Staging was finally
passed. We spent two more days working out a bunch of non-ring failures
as well, trying to make the switch as smooth as possible - and openQA
agrees with us: openSUSE Tumbleweed - Snapshot 20200309 will contain
python 3.8 and is currently in progress of being synced out to the
mirrors.

As this is a major jump, I'm (unfortunately) almost sure the update
won't reach you without you noticing it. There is potential for many
packages not being rebuilt (or rather, having failed to rebuild) - and,
depending on what you have installed, zypper dup might ask you to
eliminate some packages that are no longer compatible (could be also
coming from 3rd party repos, that did not yet rebuild against python
3.8)

I noticed ;-)

Kidding, with the fixes applied, that are in flight at the moment, the major
packages, that I care about, are functional again, with one exception:
FreeCAD. Interestingly, others have brought it to life with 3.8 long ago.

The good ones:

openshot: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/784337
All new and shiny 2.5.1 - my son likes it.

python-ipyparallel: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/784405
That one is blocking the whole jupyter stack.

spyder: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/784702

blender: https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/784698
While not exactly a 3.8 issue, this is the fresh from the press version 2.82a.
Remember the universe at a cats collar in Men in Black: this is the software
equivalent with 3D matters..

Cheers,
Pete