Re: [opensuse-factory] why upgrading too leap15.2?
On 02/29/2020 07:00 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
LS,

Just installed the beta version of leap15.2, just to see if there is anything
too upgrade for.
Nope, just a new kernel and may some other new or updated packages, but even
glibc stays ancient, just as many other packages.  Thus keeping leap15.2 as
slow as leap15.1 which is 4 times slower then TW for mathematics due to the
ancient glibc library and possible the very ancient gcc tool set.

But, maybe I am pessimistic and can someone correct me?

Chuckling.... can somebody correct you?

That's a very difficult question to answer. However, there are some
observations to be made, "slower" and "faster" are qualitative and 4 times a
qualitative measure is still itself qualitative.

Can you include some specific benchmarks you are referring to? The reason
being, is I haven't seen any great leap in performance tied to glibc that I
can think of. Were it not for the cessation of updates, I could happily still
be running 11.0 and the performance of assembly, C, C++ would still be very
comparable. (though STL availability would be a problem)

Now I'm sure for some corner-case processor specific optimizations there are
benefits to be had from later versions and later kernels, but to know if that
is what you are referring to, we need to know what you are measuring and how.

Even knowing that, the jury is still out on whether or not you can be corrected?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.