Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
  • From: AW <alexander.willand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 08:40:05 +0100
Am Dienstag, 25. Februar 2020, 08:28:26 CET schrieb Oliver Kurz:
[?]
Hi Ulf, hi ?all?,

I'm a user of TW, but not an IT-professional. So I'd really like to avoid
the trouble of a non booting or hanging system after the 20200220 update.

After reading this thread, I tested my sytem:

=== === ===
linux-izun:/home/AW # rpmconfigcheck
Searching for unresolved configuration files

Please check the following files (see /var/adm/rpmconfigcheck):
/etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew
/etc/postfix/main.cf.rpmnew
/etc/postfix/master.cf.rpmnew
/etc/profile.d/zzz-texlive.csh.rpmsave
/etc/profile.d/zzz-texlive.sh.rpmsave
/etc/pulse/client.conf.d/50-system.conf.rpmsave
/etc/sysctl.conf.rpmnew
/etc/systemd/system.conf.rpmnew
/etc/zypp/zypp.conf.rpmnew

=== === ===

So it seems my sytem is affected, right?

What is the best way to avoid havoc while upgrading using zypper dup? I'd
like to do something _in_advance_ to the upgrade to prevent the trouble.

By the way: I never touched nsswitch.conf.

I don't think you can find out which config files *would* be changed by
upgrade without conducting the actual upgrade. What you can do *before*
upgrade already is check if there might be config changes still pending
based on rpmconfigcheck to keep the difference low and prepare for further
config changes. After upgrade make sure to run rpmconfigcheck and fix all
reported problems as soon as possible.

Oliver, thank you, but...

According to rpmconfigcheck (why isn't there any manpage?) the file
nsswitch.conf has been altered.

So the new TW snapshot 20200220 will, according to this thread, break my
system.

And my apologies, but »fix all reported problems as soon as possible« isn't
helpfull to me. Hey, I'm a user!

So how to proceed?