Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
On 24. 02. 20, 9:53, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, Jiri Slaby wrote:

Looking at the nth report of the same, whoever introduced this state,
should fix it. No matter how /etc/nsswitch.conf was modified, an update
shall not break a working system. Period. If it does, _we_ failed, not
them. And if we keep repeating "you did update the file, handle it", we
are only losing users, right?

Wrong. You are looking at a very trivial example, which breaks your
system visible. So you had luck.
We had examples last year, where ignoring *.rpmnew files could lead
to security holes, and because of the complex syntax of the config
files, a simple approach of fixing this automatically is impossoble.
So in that cases, no visible break, but invisible security holes.

It's still an issue of the system, not of the user. We are still missing
debian's check-config-after-update thing. The system should at least
notify the updater about the config changes. Doing find / -name '*.rpm*'
after each update is a silly approach and clearly doesn't work as you write.

But we had a discussion about the debian tool in the past with no
apparent results… Not sure if only missing manpower is the blocker on
that front.

regards,
--
js