Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older system!
Am 24.02.20 um 10:12 schrieb Bernard Lang:
I do not know whether this excerpt of a former mail can help but my original
/etc/nsswitch.conf was modified, the initial version being renamed
/etc/nsswitch.confbak

Here is the change, which added "mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return]" on line 29

# diff nsswitch.conf nsswitch.confbak
29c29
< hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
---
hosts: files dns
#

I may have caused it unwittingly, but I never knew it had occured until now,
and I still do not know what caused it. Actually I did not even know what it
meant until I searched yesterday. And now that I know, I still wonder what it
is useful for.
You did nothing wrong. The nss-mdns package messes around with nsswitch.conf
(and creates the ...bak file).
And because it is installed at least on every desktop default installation, it
is obvious that nobody really tested the usr/etc move, or they just waved the
problems away with "Let the stoopid users suffer! They deserve it!!!" ;-)
--
Stefan Seyfried